Legal Profession Admission Board

Feedback and Complaints

Your feedback is important to us, whether you have a complaint, a suggestion or a compliment.

We value all feedback, because it helps us improve our services.

The following information will help you to provide feedback to us:


    How should I provide my feedback?

    You should firstly contact the staff member you were dealing with, or the staff member’s supervisor. You can write (a letter, email or fax), telephone, or provide your feedback over the counter. Contact information is available on our web page and at the bottom of this page.

    If you have a complaint that is serious or complex, it is generally best to put it in writing, if you can.

    If you do not know who to speak to about your feedback, or if you want to discuss the complaint process before making a complaint, you can contact the Office Manager. They can refer you to the appropriate area, and answer your questions about the complaint process.

    What can I provide feedback about?

    You can provide feedback to us about:

    • the quality of service you have received from a staff member of the LPAB
    • the conduct of a staff member of the LPAB
    • a policy or procedure of the LPAB.

    Please note that we cannot:

    • review a decision made by the Board, its Committees or Sub-Committees

    The Board is a statutory body established under the Legal Profession Act 2004 and is not subject to direction by the Department of Attorney General and Justice in its role and responsibilities and decision-making processes.   

    If you are dissatisfied with a decision of the Board its Committees or a Sub-Committee, you may be able to apply for a reconsideration of the matter under the Legal Profession Admission Rules 2005. LPAB staff can assist you with advice about procedures but cannot give you legal advice or recommend what action you should take. There are also provisions in the Legal Profession Act 2004 that provide rights of appeal to the Supreme Court against a Board decision. If you need a referral to a lawyer or other legal information and assistance, you can contact Law Access NSW .

    • investigate the conduct of a judge or magistrate

    The Judicial Commission of NSW receives complaints about judicial officers. More information is available on the Commission’s website at    

    • investigate allegations of misconduct by Lawyers. Enquiries should be directed to:

    Office of the Legal Services Commissioner

    Additional information about the complaints process can be found in a brochure produced by the Law Society of NSW:

    Law Society of New South Wales

    • investigate the quality of service, decisions, policies and procedures of agencies which are not part of the LPAB   

    What should I include in a complaint?

    You should briefly state your concern, and tell us what happened. Make sure you also include:

    • which person, or area of the LPAB has caused you concern
    • the relevant date, location and reference number, if you have them
    • what you would like us to do to resolve your complaint
    • your postal address and contact telephone numbers
    • if you would like your complaint to be handled confidentially.

    While we can handle your complaint confidentially, this may limit our ability to examine or resolve your concerns. If this is the case, we will contact you to discuss the issue, before taking further action.

    What if I need assistance to provide feedback?

    If you have a disability, or if you do not understand English well, we can assist you with providing feedback or making a complaint. Just let us know:

    • about your disability, or what is your preferred language, and
    • how you would like us to help you provide feedback or make a complaint.

    We cannot provide you with legal advice. If you need a referral to a lawyer or other legal information and assistance, you can contact LawAccess NSW.

    When can I expect a response to my complaint?

    We will acknowledge your complaint within three business days of receiving it.

    We will provide a response to your complaint within three weeks of receiving it. If a complaint is serious or complex, it may take longer. If our response to your complaint is likely to be significantly delayed, we will let you know about the delay. If possible, we will also give you an estimated timeframe for our response.

    What can I expect to achieve from making a complaint?

    If your complaint is justified, we can do one or more of the following:


    • rectify our mistake
    • provide you with an apology
    • promise to improve our policies, procedures or systems.

    What if I am dissatisfied with the handling of my complaint?

    If you have made a complaint to us and you are dissatisfied with the response, you can write and ask for the Executive Officer to conduct an internal review. This means that the most senior staff member will look again at your complaint, and decide whether or not it was handled fairly and reasonable steps were taken to resolve the issue.

    At any stage of the complaint process, you can forward your complaint for consideration by a complaint-handling agency that is outside this Department. For example, you can contact the NSW Ombudsman (about a complaint regarding administration) or to the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW (about a complaint regarding discrimination). 

    How will you protect the privacy or confidentiality of my complaint?

    The law requires us to protect your personal information, and not to disclose it to another person or body except in certain circumstances. For more information, you can visit the Legal Services Branch website or the Office of the Privacy Commissioner .

    When examining your complaint, it may be necessary for us to seek information about your concerns from other staff members and other areas of the Department. If you want us to handle your complaint confidentially within the Department, please let us know. While we can handle your complaint confidentially, this may limit our ability to examine or resolve your concerns. If this is the case, we will contact you to discuss the issue, before taking further action.

    Where can I get further information?

    You can contact the Legal Profession Admission Board at:


    Street address
    Level 4, 37 Bligh Street (cnr Hunter) Sydney NSW 2000

    Postal address
    GPO Box 3980 Sydney NSW 2001

    Document exchange (within Australia only)

    DX 602 Sydney

    Telephone: (02) 9338 3500
    Fax: (02) 9338 3555